Digital Video Art • ARTC 3440
In-Class Video – First Day of Class!!
YOU HAVE ONLY 50 MINUTES TOTAL to complete this assignment !!
- To become familiar with the technique we call “RUN & GUN” -- preparing and shooting an interview with very little time.
- To get to know your classmates (since you will need to work with all of your new “teammates” this semester!)
- To learn to think and plan quickly
- To take a turn at acting, directing, and shooting
- To explore in and around this fantastic building (although please without disturbing classes)!
With a partner (someone you don’t know): Take 10-15 minutes (total, 5-7 min per person) to interview each other: Take written notes! As they are sharing about themselves, start thinking of how / where you might shoot their video intro and which stories are most interesting and memorable.
- What is your name and age?
- Where are you from?
- What is your earliest childhood memory?
- Show me your scars. Where & how did you get them?
- What was the most valuable thing you owned as a child? AND what is your most valuable possession now?
- When was the last time you did something for the first time? Tell us about it.
As your partner is answering the questions, listen for ideas about how you might “frame” their interview. Think about LOCATION - what would be a good place (in the Wolfe center) where their STORY can be told. What kind of introduction do you want to give, which story will you share? Will they introduce themselves, or will you tell their story? How will you tell it?
Once you have completed this informal “research” about your partner and chosen a location and format/structure for your videos, use your cell phone to make the video.
2) Use the remaining 20-30 minutes to create TWO videos (one for each of you!). Each take a turn as:
- Director & Videographer: (concept development, planning, directing, shooting)
- Actor / Interviewee: (subject of the video)
* note, you may have to be both director & videographer for your piece
Produce one 2-3-minute video for your partner (NOT LONGER) that introduces him/her to the class. The only requirements are:
- They (or you) must be introduced with their name, age, and where they are from.
- During the video, you must reveal some of the information gathered during the discussion of the questions
- Choose a great location (in / around the Wolfe Center)
- Try to reveal a bit of your / their personalities in the piece!
- BE CREATIVE! Play with the camera angles, staging, composition, etc.
- BE A PRO! Focus, watch for a good background, select the best lighting for the mood of the piece!
- You can edit shots in the camera, but cannot use any software.
If you have any technical trouble, please come back to room 202 for assistance!
Try to create a compelling video that shares a story about your partner in a memorable way!
INTERVIEW • INTERPRET • PLAN • STAGE • SHOOT
Video will be uploaded to the Vimeo class page on Wednesday, August 25.
You are responsible for uploading the video you edited about your partner. (not the video they did about you.)